Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default 2x0.5 mm power wire -- how much amp ?

wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
In the UK (230v) 0.5mm˛ twin flex is rated at 3 amps.

In reality more like 240V and it's 250V right here.

It's a nominal voltage like all domestic supplies.

It's a straight fib in the case of the UK for reasons of political correctness.

I'm not sure which figure you mean, nor what you mean by 'straight
fit', but I'm not sure the term would sit completely comfortably with
either figure.

The reasoning is as follows.

The voltage in the UK was 240V. In mainland Europe it was 220V.

In order to 'harmonise' the voltage in the EU a 'political decision' was made to call
it 230V and widen the tolerances.

Graham