Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.rural,alt.building.construction
Pat Pat is offline

Default Well Mystery

Oh you're no fun.

Just out of curiosity, have you had anyone else drink it so see if it
bothered them?

Using 2 wells shouldn't require any trenching. Both wells are working
and both go into your house, no? Just a little re-plumbing in the
basement.

Call your local health dept. or cooperative extension agent and see if
they can recommend a lab to test for "everything". Something like a
gas might evaporate by the time it is tested.

Personally, I think I would run the well for a few days and see if it
clears anything out. also, then having the water tested, test from
both wells and see what the difference is.

wrote:
Thank you all for your highly entertaining discussion which no doubt
will be reprinted the Annals of Scatology (or should that be Anals?).

The problem with separate plumbing for the 2 wells is it would require
500' of trenching, so I view that as a solution of last resort.

The reason to try sterilizing the water, even though the bacterial
testing came up negative, is that there is such a thing as fastidious
bacteria that are not easily detected or cultured.

I do not believe this problem is "nerves" because this was never a high
stress situation, and I certainly did not expect this problem to occur
when I first hooked up the well.

I have repeated the experiment of drinking the water from this well
several times and the irritation is definitely correlated with that.

After the chlorine shock, I ran the well pump for several hours just
flushing the output onto the ground, so I doubt the problem is residual
chlorine or pump oil.

The substances found in the water were calcium, magnesium, zinc, and a
trace of copper, all of which are in my multivitamin supplement in
greater qunatities, sodium, and chloride, nitrate and sulfate at no
more than around 10% of their maximum allowable levels. It seems
unlikely, but I suppose it is possible the nitrate or sulfate could be
irritants. The other possiblity would be some chemical species not
tested for.