Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.rural,alt.building.construction
[email protected] wrkg_onit@yahoo.com is offline

Default Well Mystery

Thank you all for your highly entertaining discussion which no doubt
will be reprinted the Annals of Scatology (or should that be Anals?).

The problem with separate plumbing for the 2 wells is it would require
500' of trenching, so I view that as a solution of last resort.

The reason to try sterilizing the water, even though the bacterial
testing came up negative, is that there is such a thing as fastidious
bacteria that are not easily detected or cultured.

I do not believe this problem is "nerves" because this was never a high
stress situation, and I certainly did not expect this problem to occur
when I first hooked up the well.

I have repeated the experiment of drinking the water from this well
several times and the irritation is definitely correlated with that.

After the chlorine shock, I ran the well pump for several hours just
flushing the output onto the ground, so I doubt the problem is residual
chlorine or pump oil.

The substances found in the water were calcium, magnesium, zinc, and a
trace of copper, all of which are in my multivitamin supplement in
greater qunatities, sodium, and chloride, nitrate and sulfate at no
more than around 10% of their maximum allowable levels. It seems
unlikely, but I suppose it is possible the nitrate or sulfate could be
irritants. The other possiblity would be some chemical species not
tested for.