Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Brandt Rick Brandt is offline

Default dog tunneling under chain link fence

"krw" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
"krw" wrote in message
Have you ever heard of training a pet? I guess not, your momma
failed.

Ah, the professional dog owner argument.

Nope, not me. Don't even own a dog currently. I've met quite a
few very friendly Pit Bulls, and particularly Rotties. It *can* be
done. Just don't torture the thing and you're a long way down the
right road.

People that believe certain breeds are overtly dangerous do NOT take the
position that these breeds walk around 100% of the time snarling and snapping at
things (that would actually make them easier to outlaw).

What IS true is that these breeds can be sweet, obedient pets for years and then
without obvious provocation attack a person or other animal. Compounding that
is the fact that they are not easily subdued. There are many attack stories
where neighbors with baseball bats or similar were not able to get these dogs to
release their hold. Policemen have often had to put multiple rounds into these
dogs before they go down. The canine jaw is one of the most powerful in nature
and these dogs have much more powerful jaws than your average lab or shepard.

I'm against any legislation that singles out a particular breed.
It won't work for the same reason that laws against "designer
drugs" don't.

Non-sequitor. Laws concerning drugs have nothing to do with the issue.

I'd have no problem with that for any dog that seriously injures
someone.

And when certain breeds are known time and again to be involved in these cases
the legislators are just supposed to sit back and act AFTER every incident?

Assholes can drive cars too.

And driving cars is heavily regulated. Thanks for making my point.

No, it's my position that if the dog (any breed) is dangerous, the
owner be held responsible.

But only and always after the fact, right?

That breed doesn't enter into the equation at all?

Correct. The dog cannot be responsible, rather the owner/ If
insurance companies want to limit breeds they'll insure, I really
don't have much to say though. Contract, and all...

This isn't about holding the dog responsible. Municipalities restrict the
ownership of more types of animals than those that are allowed, usually for far
less serious reasons than safety. If one can be prevented from having a cow in
their back yard just because of the smell then I see no reason not to disallow a
dangerous breed of dog.