Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default dog tunneling under chain link fence

In article ,
says...
http://www.spcanova.org/adoptc.htm

8. Declawing. Our cats may not be declawed. If you want a declawed cat, ask if
we have one that is already declawed.

Who gives a **** what some looney site says.

Reason: Declawing is cruel, physically

Only if done by a butcher.

and psychologically,

Bull**** feline psychobabble.

and completely unnecessary.

Wrong again. The cats enjoy scratching. They can now do it to
their heart's content, on anything that takes their fancy.

A cat?s claws function as part of its fingers and toes.

No more than your toenails do. They don't have an opposable thumb,
you know?

Declawing means amputating the last joint of a cat?s toes.

Lie!

The surgery and recovery is extremely painful.

Is that why ours were bouncing all around the house and scratching
on the scratching post when they got home?

Declawing impedes a cat?s ability to walk and play as well

Lie. they can play perfectly well, without causing pain to each
other, or me.

as protect and groom themselves.

Lie.

Psychologically, cats need to claw as part of their grooming ritual

Lie. Declawed cats still "claw".

and many cats knead with their claws to express comfort.

As do declawed cats. No points here either.

Declawed cats tend to have higher levels of anxiety because they feel
defenseless and often become biters.

Often? Cats with their claws never do? More feline psychobabble.

They also tend to react to stress by
acting out such as by not using their litter boxes.

Try changing their litter next week. It works.

Frequent clipping of the
tip of the claw can help alleviate damage due to scratching.

Speaking of stressing out a cat! Do you give it a bath at the same
time?

An SPCA volunteer
or your vet can show you how to properly clip claws.

My vet can properly remove the claws too. So can my brother (also
a vet) who highly recommends declawing when the cat is neutered. I
suppose you don't approve of that either, because it might cause
stress, or some other psychobabble.

Give your cat plenty of
appropriate things to scratch and gently correct your cat if it scratches the
wrong things.

Clip the claws and let it scratch whatever it wants.

A little patience, positive reinforcement, and consistency in
training alleviates the vast majority of scratching problems.

Cliping the claws resolves all of them, instantly,

--
Keith