Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack Jack is offline

Default Sump question

Check valve in place. It seems like I have lots of groundwater. I was
thinking I either don't have enough holes drilled in the plastic basin, or
the ones I have are drilled too low. Not sure...

"Berkshire Bill" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote in message
I have never had a sump pump before the awful flooding of last year in the
northeast. After getting some great advice from this group, I installed
one. I bought a basin and pump from HD. I mounted the pump on top of a
brick. I drilled holes in the plastic basin starting about the height of
the float up to the bottom of the floor.
.
Until the rains on Thanksgiving, I never had water in the basin. The
past couple of days, the basin is filling to level with the top of the
pump but no more. I am assuming this is the groundwater level. The pump
is a high-output Flotec. The pump kicks on and empties the basin
quickly. The basin then fills up, and the cycle continues. It seems
like the pump kicks on every 45-60 seconds.
.
I am not sure if I have the pump too low in the basin, or if I drilled my
holes too low, or if this is really a problem. It just bothers me to see
the water in the basin and the pump cycling so much.
.
Thank you for your time.

Do you have a check valve to keep the water from flowing back into the
basin from your discharge pipe/hose?

Bill