Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default What is a reasonable deposit?

wrote:
Thanks for the many replies. The windows will be made to order. As I
said it, we will install the windows, but also, as some of you said, I
should wait until I have checked the windows before I pay the full
balance. How many times have I had people delivering things and then
running away with the cheque before I have even had the time to open
the box. Then if something is wrong I have to quickly make sure the
company is going to put it right and if they start giving trouble I
have to stop the cheque immediately, at which point the dispute starts.

I have had other quotes from people who have said they only want
payment on delivery but they are a bit more expensive and the windows
of this company look a bit better. I think that this company asking for
50% deposit are measuring us up in terms of how reliable we look. If
another couple told us that they paid only 5% or no deposit to the
company I would feel very insulted.

Since I am building the house I have accounts with a number of
suppliers and I pay them well after the delivery and checking of the
items so why should I not have the same arrangement with the windows
company? I can provide trade references

Many times on this group, I've recommended a small, two-man band of
double glazing installers (Sharbeck Windows of Preston, Lancashire). In
your case this isn't appropriate as you want to fit the new windows
yourself, but I know that Sharbeck don't manufacture the windows
themselves - they have their windows manufactured by a company called
Profile22 -
http://www.profile22.co.uk/ - maybe it would be worth giving
them a call to ask about their terms and conditions?

John.