Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan gent alan gent is offline

Default corrosion of copper and/or aluminium with water softener and systemate2000

We have a Systemate2000 about 7 yrs old. More recently we installed a salt
based softener to reduce scum and hardness. I've just seen a warning on a
new system I noticed in a building development I was visiting saying'system
contaims aluminium heat exchanger and chemical softener must not be fitted'.
Can anyone tell me if I should remove the softener and why, please? We have
also noticed a 'bluish stain' forms below the basin taps. Is this a separate
copper corrosion problem?