Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default What is a reasonable deposit?

On 2006-11-25 16:01:13 +0000, "Weatherlawyer" said:

Phil L wrote:
wrote:
A company I want to use to supply a set of windows for my new home (we
will install them) wants 50% deposit with the order. Is this excessive
(and risky) for normal purchases of this type?
The other 50% is payable on delivery

You don't really have a choice, you either pay the 50% or go elsewhere,
window manufacturers are sick to death of manufacturing a full set of rames
only to be stuck with them when the customer has a brainwave and decides to
move house instead, unless you are a trade customer, pay up, up front, I
doubt it's negotiable.

Quite right. Think of the overheads the firm has to pay for as well as
the product costs.

The only quibble you aught to have is when they deliver them, will they
fit the holes? Have a list of specifications ready for the delivery as
well as your cheque book.

Not the cheque book.......