Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default GFCI tripping

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:07:58 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:50:35 -0500, Stubby
wrote:

Tom The Great wrote:
On 23 Nov 2006 18:27:23 -0800, "Sasha" wrote:

I have GFCI tripping once every several months. What can be a reason
for that?

IMHO:

If you have no other factors, like heavy applicances which you didn't
mention, then I would guess since the GFCI fails safe, that line
voltages could fluctuate and cause the GFCI to trip.

How does a line voltage fluctuation cause a current imbalance in the
legs? The real culprit must be something such as a chafed wire, a mouse
biting a wire, etc.

Well... If *I* was having occasional tripping of GFCI device,
my first thought would be that it was caused by a ground fault,
but that's just me....

It it was a ground fault, then I would suspect that an applicance, or
other plugged in item, was causing. Then it wouldn't occur every
several months, but everytime the item was used. This would create an
immediate patern, and no NG post would have happened.

tom