Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default dog tunneling under chain link fence

dkhedmo wrote:
Any ideas to secure the bottom edges of the chain link fence? New-to-us
dog tunneled under the brand new fence and bolted. The mister thinks we
should have the fence guy come back and secure pipe at the bottom of the
fence from post to post, clipping the fence to the pipe as along the
top. I'm not convinced this will solve the tunneling problem, just slow
the progress. I'm thinking some kind of metal edging that can be sunk
12" or so below ground, with a few inches remaining above to cover any
gap between ground and fence. If we were to go with this metal edging
idea, what kind of metal, and from whom do I procure it?

Any other ideas? For the time being, dog goes on a 40' tether on one of
those screw in stakes, just to run around the $1200 "fenced in" yard. Grr...

Firstly, I agree that you might just pay more attention to the dog.
Rather than just turning him out you should take him for a nice walk
around the neighborhood. I would be good for both of you. After he
eliminates then he can come into the house with you. Dogs are the most
social of all animals and should not be just left alone for extended
periods. I like the suggestion of adopting a playmate for your local
shelter.

One fix that hasn't been mentioned is concrete blocks around the
bottom of the fence. It's not a great idea but it's quick and
effective. Another fix is to place one strand of barbed wire at or
near ground level this may have been mentioned. The best suggestions
seem to be to bury wire in the ground.