Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment
John Beardmore John Beardmore is offline

Default Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message , Andy Hall writes

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-25 00:51:47 +0000, John Beardmore
said:

OK - so the situation is analogous to private education.
You can send your children to private school, but if you do, you
don't get a tax rebate.
You should.

You can have no children at all, and still get no tax rebate.
Again, you should.

Well - maybe.

There is plenty of history of this kind of thing, but people don't
generally think of state education as a monopoly.
In practical terms, to those who could otherwise afford private
education if they didn't have to pay that proportion of council tax,
it is.

Yes - but in that sense, not having a Rolls Royce is a monopoly
thing.

Not influenced by taxation in that sense, though.

True. My point though is that calling waste collection a monopoly isn't
strictly accurate but is certainly emotive.

The same is true of education and of healthcare. The
difference with those is that people view those rather more
seriously and are willing to pay twice to get a proper service.
Quite so - demonstrating that it's not a monopoly.
The local authority collects money from every household. Part of
this goes towards refuse collection.
- It does not offer a choice of level of service.
- It does not offer a choice of refuse collection company
- It does not allow its customers a part in the selection of the
single chosen company
- It does not provide a discount on council tax if the customer
wants to shop elsewhere.
It's a monopoly in terms of profile

?

So what do you mean by profile here ?

and effect,

Except you do have the option to have any licensed agent take your
waste if you want them to.

Fine. Then they should be in a position to compete in the market for
weekly collection as well as delivery and collection of large skips.

You mean the government should butt out of the market and leave it to
private firms ?

I should be in a position that if I choose one, I opt out of paying the
council tax amount for it.

Yes - that might be fair. While we are at it we should give people tax
rebates for not using any government service... How much bureaucracy
would that create ?

and a poorly run one at that.

In some respects.
I guess to some extent this situation has perhaps arisen to address
a need from an era when the private sector did not offer waste
collection services, but imperfect though the present situation is,
I'm not sure that having three providers working the same streets
would be more efficient, reduce congestion, or otherwise be too smart.

I'd settle for 3 licensed operators with each having a different
collection day on a given street.

OK - by this implies that there will be a licensing process and
tendering process to select the three.

More bureaucracy.

Cheers, J/.
--