Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock Brian Sharrock is offline

Default What is a reasonable deposit?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:
A company I want to use to supply a set of windows for my new home (we
will install them) wants 50% deposit with the order. Is this excessive
(and risky) for normal purchases of this type?
The other 50% is payable on delivery

Forget that. I'd not pay the rest until after installation - and want a
buffer period to make sure there are no snags.

As regards a deposit, what safeguards are there against that deposit being
lost if the company goes broke?

It all depends on who you are contracting with.

IF 'the company' is entitled $Something 'Ltd'; - that's a 'WARNING' that the
company's total liability is _limited_. Check Company's House for the limit
of their total liability.
If it's a partnership there's no limit to their liability - but presume that
'efry fings in the wife's name sniff'.

Giving a deposit places you at risk .... effectively you're an _unsecured
creditor_ and if 'the company folds you join the queue to pick over the
bones .... after HMRC ( nee Inland Revenue), National Insurance; ..... then
you.

That's tough , that's life !

--

Brian