Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Labelling wires inside a circuit breaker box

I have just installed a generator for emergency power backup which requires
8 wirenut splices inside my breaker box (to bring the 8 protected circuits
over to a new transfer switch and breaker subpanel provided by the generator
manufacturer, Generac Guardian). To keep these 8 wires clearly labeled for
future identification, I have tagged each wire with its' circuit with such
names as "Furnace". "Refrigerator", "Sump Pump", etc., using adhesive-backed
paper labels wrapped around each of the 8 wires.

I feel a bit uneasy about leaving paper labels inside my breaker box, and
wonder if there is a correct way to properly tag wires inside a 200 amp
breaker box which allow for distinct and easily readable marking but are not
in some way violating code or creating some type of fire hazard.

I very much appreciate any recommendations. Thank you.

Smarty