Posted to alt.home.repair
JustDave JustDave is offline

Default Window fiasco (LONG RANT)

After some serious shopping I hired an established local contractor to
replace the 9 windows and 2 sliding glass doors in my 9 year old stucco
Florida home with Simonton double glazed vinyl windows. It's almost a $10k
job - a lot on my budget.
After standing me up the 1st day they were to work, they arrived late the
second day and replaced 4 windows and the 2 sliding doors. One of the new
windows is cracked (stress, they said - "we'll order a new one"). The old 8'
x 2' window over the master bed shattered while they tried to remove it (I
lent them my shop vac, but DW vacuumed 'til midnight to get the rest of the
glass out of everything). I gave them a key so they could finish up the next
day. They called that afternoon and said 2 of the remaining windows had been
removed, but the replacements didn't fit (they're way too small).They
temporarily fitted them in with 1x4s. The other 2 don't fit either. I'm now
waiting 3 weeks for replacements. One of the screens didn't fit its window,
either.
Also - the sliding glass doors were installed with oak 1x4s under the frames
and the tracks are about 3/4" higher than the old ones (trip hazard?). Is
this normal for Simonton doors, as the installer claims?
Should I expect any compensation for these foul ups and delays? If so,
what's the best way to claim it? The manager at the dealer says "Sometimes
these things happen..." One thing in my favor - I haven't paid anything ($0)
so far.
(rant off) Thanks in advance for reading, and any advice.

JustDave