Posted to rec.woodworking

Default bother

I would make sure you use breadboard ends or attach some cross runners
on the under side and finish all sides with a good film finish if you
have material that likes to make such moves.

Peter Huebner wrote:
Don't you love it when ....

Neighbour commissioned a sink benchtop; they are supplying the timber. Small
job, easy, right?

First timber they come up with was sappy Rimu 9"x3/4", full of borer it turned
out. I called them into the shop after planing it, got them to take a look and
they took it away again (1 hour blown) and came back with some 6" x 1 1/2"
macrocarpa.
Planed it, gauged it, trued everything up ready for gluing. Lots of tiny and
not so tiny dead knots. Hard to find a decent layout. Well.

Left the shop to get a cuppa and a mask-free breather and came back to find the
planks had warped, as well as cupped, visibly since planing nary 1 3/4 hours
before. Oh ye gods. [***censored***] I just hope the ends aren't going to start
to split, since I have cut to within 6" of final length ...

big sigh -Peter