Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-25 00:52:39 +0000, John Beardmore said:

Why can't I opt out of the payments if I don't want to buy the service,
but choose my own while still complying with the EPA (above)?

Same reason you can't opt out of buying Trident but keep a few grenades
under the kitchen sink I guess.

Different issue I think.

Perhaps there is another clause saying that the local authority or its
representative is the only "authorised person"

No - it's to do with having waste transfer licenses.

Fine, so no need for a restriction.

Perhaps the authority chooses not to use multiple contractors and to
offer the customer a choice.

It might have discretion to do that. I'm still not convinced it would
result in better service or greater efficiency.

Competition almost always results in the customer getting what they
want at the right price.