Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-24 22:32:26 +0000, John Beardmore said:

Do the council have a monopoly ? I'm aware that The Waste (Household
Waste Duty of Care) (England and Wales) Regulations 2005 - came into
force 21/11/2005, amending the Environmental Protection Act
"(2A) It shall be the duty of the occupier of any domestic
property in England to take all such measures available to
him as are reasonable in the circumstances to secure that
any transfer by him of household waste produced on the
property is only to an authorised person or to a person for
authorised transport purposes."
I don't know if the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005, or
the Waste Management Licensing Regulations 1994 would be consistent
with you assertion of monopoly ?
So if that's the case, how does one apply to the local authority to
opt out of their waste collection arrangement?
You don't use their bins, and you don't put them out to be collected.

What is the method by which I deduct the amount going towards that from
my council tax?

You can't, but you can opt out of collections trivially.

Why can't I opt out of the payments if I don't want to buy the service,
but choose my own while still complying with the EPA (above)?

Perhaps there is another clause saying that the local authority or its
representative is the only "authorised person" If so, it's a monopoly.

Perhaps the authority chooses not to use multiple contractors and to
offer the customer a choice. Again a monopoly.