Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default Can you give me an idea about computer shelf?

In article ,
says...
I need a shelf to hold 3 CRT monitors above my existing desk. It needs
to extend about 36" from a normal house wall and hold the weight of
the monitors. Is that enough to go on? The monitors are 2 19" and 1 21
inch. I guess they weigh about 40 lbs each. It would be a pain to
access below or behind the current desk.

You could probably build a platform with legs or supports on each side to
span your current desk. No need to attach anything to the wall, a bonus if
you are renting.

A crude platform could be built out of 2x4's with a layer of plywood on
top.

A solid-core door isn't much more expensive and will be much more
stable. A coat of stain and some poly and it won't even look bad.

If you want something more attractive, you could use 3/4" birch plywood,
with 1x4's glued and nailed to the front and back edges. Sand, stain, and
poly and it'll look like a piece of furniture.

It's still plywood.

Of course, you may want to consider replacing those large, heavy CRT's with
flatscreen LCD's. Then you could put up just about any shelf to hold them.

The rich-man's option. ;-)

--
Keith