Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas vs electric heat

wrote in message

New windows and doors, so leaking air is
not a problem.

With no insulation, air leaking is much less of a problem, but not
eliminated by the new windows and doors.

I'm remodeling the place and my contractor has suggested lowering the
10 foot ceilings to install central heat. I don't want to do that, but
I'm at a loss for alternatives. I'd like to install radiant floor heat
on the first floor, and gas fireplaces or heaters on the other floors.

In the US, a new buyer will want central heat so the resale in 10 years wold
be greatly affected. If yo were in Europe, space heaters would be better
accepted.

I'm afraid to convert to electrical heat completely, as I have no idea
what it would cost. Ideally, I would love to have a dual fuel system
(gas/electric), to be able to take advantage of whichever fuel is
cheaper. I live in Chicago, and electric rates are due to rise around
20% soon.

What are my options? (I plan to stay in this building for another 8-10
years.)

Electric is the cheapest to install, but usually the most costly to operate.
Gas and oil are usually fairly close but will vary depending on location.
Adding a water heated system will entail running pipes up the wall. This
can often be done buy running them inside of closets or in a corner of a
room and building a cover over them. Then you have to run the tubing room
to room so there will be a baseboard enclosure along the entire perimeter.

If you have respiratory problems, a water heated system maybe one of the
best options. If you have gas running to each floor now, you can put a gaze
fired heater on each floor, but then you need ducts and blowers. With a
HEPA filtration system, your respiratory problems may improve and it wallows
you to add air conditioning and to separate utilities if the property goes
back to rentals again.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/