Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is wrong with plumbers?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Please tell me if I am missing something.

A few years ago I hired a plumber to remove and install a new faucet.
He worked on it for about ten minutes and then told me that he needed
to go to the store for a part. He never came back. I hadn't paid him.
He wouldn't answer his phone until I used a neighbors with a different
caller ID. The plumber simply told me that he didn't want to do the
job. I was without a kitchen sink for a couple of days until I got a
different plumber. This one was resonable and did good work. I ahd him
do other work and recommended him to others. Sorry he retired. Now I
want to replace a toilet. Lowes subcontracted a plumber and he showed
up several days later. He worked for a few minutes and then told me he
had to leave to get a valve. Guess what! He failed to come back. Never
answered the phone until the next day when Lowes called him. He told
them I had dry rot in the floor and he could not finish the job because
of that. Not sure how he could claim that, as he had not removed any
tiling or gone down to the basement. I did and found no evidence of
'dry rot'. My question is; why do these guys do this? They are getting
no money from me, they are just causing me inconvience.

My guess is that they realized they were unqualified to do the job, but
embarrassed to tell you that face to face. So, they vanished. If you can't
get the name of a good plumber from a friend, or from someone at work, open
the yellow pages and find a plumbing COMPANY - one that has several plumbers
on its staff. That should (hopefully) lower your chances of having an
amateur arrive to do the work.

Of course, it's also possible that YOU are the problem.

- Is your house filthy?
- Do you chatter to repair people endlessly about stuff they have no
interest in, like your kids and grandchildren and your dog that just died
blah blah blah?