Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default waste pipe under kitchen sink

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:43:03 +0000 someone who may be Miles
wrote this:-

There is a reason why whoever did it like this did it: the whole lot
joins an iron waste pipe running inside the house which has an outlet
which is too high for the current pipework.

My first impression is that to seal this outlet off, and cut a new one
about a foot lower for the kitchen waste pipes to feed into is a Big
Job. Am I right? Or this is fairly routine? Is it a building job or a
plumbing job?

The ideal solution would be to use the existing connection for the
sink and make a new connection for the washing machine and
dishwasher lower down. They could then have separate standpipes with
a running trap between them and the stack.

Making a new 40mm connection in a cast iron stack can be done with
care and patience. There are saddle adapters that will mate properly
with such pipes, provided one can get all the way round them to
attach the straps and screw up the fastening. Don't drop the cast
iron plug down the stack, as it may stick somewhere. It helps if
access to drill is reasonable.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh