Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gordon Henderson Gordon Henderson is offline

Default Wood burning stoves

In article ,
visionset wrote:

. ..

The difference between wood and coal is that wood requires top air and
coal requires bottom. My Woodworm has a grate that can be moved to a
closed position or an open one respectively.

I would say that coal *requires bottom*, but wood doesn't..certainly wood
burns BETTER, bottom fed.

True, but modern clean burn stoves work by igniting the gases with hot air
from above. Apart from the exra air required to get it blazing all that is
required is this top air. So in that respect they burn better with air from
above.

This is how our Stovax works - you open up the vents at the bottom to
get it going then when it's nice and hot, you close them. There are air
vents along the back wall, near the top, and the internal ducting has
the incoming air passed over hot surfaces before it comes out the
holes. It keeps the front-glass nice and clean too.

Gordon