Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default Plumbing help

plan to update the copper drain with plastic.
copper + iron = galvanic action [corrosion].
any horizontal drain pipes will collect sediment.
check the waste pipe above: it may be leaking rainwater where it passes
up thru roof.

Puddin' Man wrote:
Hi,

I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest, built in
'54, poured-concrete foundation.

The kitchen is in the back on the East side. Under the sink is
the usual P-traps etc which direct flow into a near-horozontal
copper pipe (maybe 2 " dia.) running thru the wall.

In the basement under the pipe is a window. I built a spare
bedrrom down there 20 years ago. To the left of the window
is a closet inside of which is the elec. svc. panel and,
a few inches from the edge of the window, a cast iron soil pipe
(vertical, lead/oakum joints) running thru the floor.

I just found water on the floor of the bedroom. The top of the
window was soaked. Either the top of the soil pipe or, more
likely, the juncture between the copper pipe and the soil pipe
is leaking. I can't see the leak (yet), but there's nothing
else in the immediate area to leak. Unless there's several
feet of flow path from the kitchen sink supply over to the
area of the copper drain pipe (doesn't sound likely, but
I cant see).

I've got fans down there to dry things out. I guess in the
morn I'll run water thru the drain to hopefully confirm the
leak is from the drain, 'tho it's in the wall and I won't
be able to see it.

Don't really know what to do. How does one nail down the
source of the leak and fix? Rip the sink cabinets out,
tear the plaster wall apart?

I had to cut maybe 6' of soil pipe out last year and
replace with pvc, but it was horozontal and chock full
of crud. Vertical cast iron soil pipe is supposed to
last like 100 years? How likely is it to fail in
56 years? How likely the copper pipe (in the kitchen
wall) to fail?

Any help sizing this up would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,