Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
[email protected] phil-news-nospam@ipal.net is offline

Default What Electrical Wiring to Install after Stripping Walls to Studs?

In alt.engineering.electrical Goedjn wrote:
| On 21 Nov 2006 15:13:44 GMT, wrote:
|
|| Don't install wire. Install conduits. You don't know what you will
|| want or need five years from now, but if you have a conduit you should be
|| able to run almost anything technology comes up with.
|
|Excellent idea. And make that larger non-metallic conduits.
|
| Why non-metallic? If I'm going to put condiut in my walls,
| I want something that will turn a nail.

If it is metallic and carrying power, it has to be grounded. That is
certainly doable, and it's done all the time. But for conduit added in
just to facilitate unknown future wiring, you don't know if any conduit
in particular will be for power or not. You would have to make sure it
is fully capable of being grounded even if you don't know if it will be
used for power or not. Non-metallic conduit eliminates this. You can
fish NM cable through, if the conduit is big enough, without having to
break into it along the way to get to a ground wire. Of course if you
do use conduit, you may find single wires are more convenient, anyway.