Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default planning for my new shed, foundation suggestions

On 21 Nov 2006 16:12:25 -0800, "Tater" wrote:

wrote:
"Tater" wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in mid wisconsin and am planning on a 40x80' shed and would like
to know what i should be doing for the foundation. I am thinking of
putting a 40x40 concrete slab and would like to ensure that frost heave
does not dammage it.

It depends. What will be living in the shed?

hoo boy, i try to avoid answering this question, because everyone
starts labeling me as a nut.

it's going to be a workshop for building rockets. big rockets. the
40x40 concrete part will be the workshop proper, plus room for training
simulators and and a conference room. nominaly heated, maybe solar,

Well.. What you probably OUGHT to do is
bulldoze out a level spot, lay drainpipe
around the perimeter and every 10' or so
throughout the interior, led out to daylight,
cover that with gravel, sand, and/or the
dirt you took out (depending on what it's
made out of), and then pour the slab on
top of that.

Are you sure you want the workshop and the
other occupied spaces in the same building?
I'd want a fairly substantial earth berm
between me and the workshop, myself.

And blow-out panels in the roof and far wall,
and an explosion suppression system.

Depending on exactly how big a rocket
you're talking about, you may want
at least one section of the slab poured
thicker than usual.. (which would be 4")
possibly by as much as 24" think, else
what are you planning to bolt the test
cradle to?