Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

Default Wet Carpets, need some advice please

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
I work in the carpet industry, so just maybe I can help...

1) Grab your oldest towels. The ones you use in the shop, on the dogs,
etc. You'll need quite a few.

2) Flatten several of them out over the affected area. Put a large rigid
flat piece of something on top of the towels. Plywood comes to mind.

3) Lay heavy things on top of the plywood so it pushes the towels down
onto the carpet. Alternately, you can walk around on the plywood.

4) When the towels are wet, get more dry towels and repeat the process.

5) Continue repeating the process until the towels are barely damp.
You'll probably go 3 rounds one evening with the final round going
overnight.

6) After that, take everything off of the carpet and point a box fan
towards the area. Leave the box fan on for a couple of days.

I had a somewhat similar experience with some very dirty water spilled on a
central area of light colored carpet and used the procedure outlined by this
poster. It took most of the stain away. Then I flooded the area with clean
water,walked on it to provide a bit of deep scrubbing, and repeated the
process several times. Each rinse made a definite improvement until I
finally fatigued out and said good enough.

I don't have a shopvac but I think the process would be greatly facilitated
by using one to pick up the water. Perhaps the towel trick would serve best
for the final drying -- followed by ventilation with a large fan, of course.

It's a lot of work, and there will always be some remaining trace of the
contaminant. Your call when you've got it good enough.