Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Can you give me an idea about computer shelf?

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:53:03 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

AKA gray asphalt wrote:

I need a shelf to hold 3 CRT monitors above my existing desk. It needs to
extend about 36" from a normal house wall and hold the weight of the
monitors. Is that enough to go on? The monitors are 2 19" and 1 21 inch. I
guess they weigh about 40 lbs each. It would be a pain to access below or
behind the current desk.
I appreciate your help as always,
: -)

I once put up book shelves on living room wall that were anchored to the
studs. I made the shelves of oak, with mitered decor. edge, and 3
shaped brackets under each shelf. I screwed metal mending plates onto
the back of each bracket so that they were fastened to the bracket and
the shelf and had one hole at top to use for bolting to the studs.
Brackets were spaced to fit the spacing of the studs. Used lag bolts to
fasten to the studs, and they didn't show with books on the shelves.

36" depth is a whole nother story - you would need some legs. How about
replacing the desktop or just laying a new counter on top of it?

Not necessarily. Chains hooked to screw-eyes into the top plate of
the wall should hold any reasonable weight.