Rick Hughes

Default Concrete Fence Posts - setting out

I have to put in a lot of fencing - planning condition, to save having to
redo this in the future intending using concrete H posts and gravel boards -
and fix wooden fencing (build on site) between. (aprox 48 posts + ends &
corner post)
The question is on practical points of putting them in the ground - one guy
on site has just done this, he digs the holes - then puts 4" or so of
concrete in the bottom with a couple of rebar off-cuts sticking vertically
up.

Then at a later date after concrete has set stands in the post, then using a
line from first and last post - accurately marks off the post - and then
cuts off the excess few inches with a disc cutter, after which he then
concretes in place.

Is this normal ? seems a lot of work but he advise this is the
professional way to do it.

Second question is - is there a simple way /technique to keep them upright
while concrete sets - as these are 8' posts, I can see a lot of 4"x2" needed
to hold a post upright. I don't have loads of 4"x2" so it would mean only
2 or 3 posts at a time - very slow.

Rick
--
remove ANTISPAM from my reply address when replying