Posted to alt.home.repair
Bond Bond is offline

Default Wiring Basement

Thanks Everyone.... I did not expect such a quick response. I took the
advice ... got a book, and will separate the lights from the
receptacles.

thanks Again.

Tom wrote:
Use the power formula to figure out how to load the circuits. If u use
14/2WG you need a 15 amp breaker. 12/2WG a 20 amp breaker. Add up the
potential wattage you could or may plug into your outlets, plus the wattage
of the lights and see what you come up with. P (power or total watts) over E
(volts) = Amps. If you use a 20 amp breaker you'll need a 20 amp duplex
receptacles.

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

Having receptacles and lights on the same circuit is poor practice.

I'd be interested to hear your reasoning for this. My simplified code
book suggests otherwise for general outlets (not appliance or special
purpose outlets):

"It is better to have the load consist of a mixture of lights and plugs.
This gives better load diversity on the circuit and less chance of a
complete blackout in case of circuit failure."

Chris