Posted to alt.home.repair
pacmomof10 pacmomof10 is offline

Default tearing up muliple layers of tile that is up to 40 yrs old?

Yes, I know the first two layers are linoleum but what is under that is
unknown to me. I don't want carpet, cause I have dogs and it just too much
work keeping the floor clean. One of my problems is there is chipped away
tile in some areas and when i tear up the tack boards from the carpet I
just pulled up, there will be damage there. what do i do with this problem
and can I paint the floor instead of tearing up anything else and what
would you suggest I use as a primer and so on? I want something that I can
make original and of my own design with the new floor paints that are
comeing out.
pacmomof10 spake thus:

By "tile" I assume you mean linoleum tile, right?

Lessee, some options would be:

o Tear up all layers of tile, paint (lotsa work)
o Carpet over tile
o Lay floor tile (ceramic) over cement backer board over linoleum
o Lay new linoleum after patching top layer of old linoleum
o Lay OSB panels, sand and varnish (cheap & good-looking option)

Other folks can probably think of more.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)