Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Wiring Basement

The NEC doesn't require "finished" areas to meet any particular outlet
spacing. It requires "habitable" rooms to meet these outlet requirements.
Regardless of how he may plan to use the room, if it doesn't meet the
criteria for "habitable" which sometimes requires specific ceiling heights,
and multiple methods of egress, this can just be a glorified storage space
with however many outlets he feels like installing

wrote in message
On 22 Nov 2006 19:48:38 -0800, "Bond" wrote:

I am just starting to finish part of my basement and just completed
the framing. I would like to install 5 receptacles and some recessed
lighting (6 of them), along with a dimmer switch for the light. My
plan is to create a new cicuit (there is room on the breaker). I am
having problems putting my head around how the wiring will work for the
circuit. Questions I have is can all this be put on 1 circuit? I am
running the wire from the breaker, to the receptacles (in series), to a
light switch, and then to each of the recessed lights ... is this right
method? Any help is greatly appreciated.

No.

Code requires a finished area to have a receptacle within six feet of
the doorway, and receptacles every twelve feet after that.

Having receptacles and lights on the same circuit is poor practice.

Get a book, get a permit, get an inspection.

Once you put drywall up, the wiring is not visible. If there is no
record of a permit and inspection, a buyer has no idea what is behind
the drywall.

Ken