Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] szeik@hotmail.com is offline

Default bleeding a hot water heating system

On Nov 23, 8:25 am, (m Ransley) wrote:
You have a hot water output pipe and cold return on the boiler. does
the pump run? The fill valve-valves should be on the boiler return
going to city supply. I would not just turn it on and leave it since you
could overfill it fast if your system is small, at 35lb your pressure
relief would open, you don`t realy want to get above 8-10 cold to start.
I run 12-15 on a boiler in a basement of a 3 story, less hight you need
less pressure. You only want enough water in it to get all the air out
and heat radiatore evenly when hot. I have never blead a system
cold,[but try it], and not running since pressure builds as the boiler
heats.

The way mine is set up the cold water feed is turned on but there are 2
red valves on the way to the main line. One says "reducing" and the
other says "relief". So the cold water feed is already turned on but
it doesn't seem to be working properly.

Is there any thing else I can try to get some more water back into the
system? The pressure is reading zero so it must be very low.

I tried bleeding upstairs again and I heard a little air, but no water
came out and not much air really. Seems like if I wait 1/2 hour I get
a little pressure build up but nothing much, and no water yet upstairs.

Thanks for the feedback,
Steve