Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

Default Sharpen drill bit on a drill press

snip

Smaller sizes are tougher to regrind by hand, depending on

skill,
eyesight, steadyness of hand, etc. For me, anything smaller

than 1/4"
or maybe 3/16 is a throwaway.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -

Larry,

Those various sized/shaped ceramic sticks available from
Garrett-Wade, etc., work quite well for hand sharpening smaller
sized drill bits.

Hold the bit upright in a vice and run a 600/800 grit flat
ceramic stick from the back of the flute towards the cutting lip.

Use the same pressure and number of strokes on both sides.

Repeat with finer grit ceramic sticks until you've got a good
edge.

Use a 1200 grit oval shaped ceramic stick to knock the burr off
the cutting lips. The oval shape allows it to fit into the flute
of small drill bits with less chance of creating a groove than
the edge of a half-round ceramic stick (learned the hard way).

I've been able use the ceramic sticks on drill bits down to about
#60.

Len