Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

Default Wall opening

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
51 wrote:
Hi all.
I have half a plan to open up a wall between the lounge and dining
room to install french doors or similair.
Some of you may remember how I once descibed my ground level floating
floors being supported on 3" deep joists with a sleeper wall.
So what precautions should I use to avoid buggering up the floors if I
use props to support the wall before I install a lintel?

I'm not sure if the wall is single or double brick.
The wall is shown here as a - b www.tally-mo.com

Thanks.

Arthur

You don't know if it's single or double brick? - have you not tried using
a tape measure? - about 5 inch is a single wall and about 10 inch is a
double wall.

Either way, this wall is a supporting wall, it looks like it's carrying
the wall seperating bedrooms and also carrying floor joists upstairs so it
will need substantial support...a few questions...
1) what width opening are you aiming for?
2) how high will the opening be? - are yoiu going all the way up to the
ceiling or is it to be similar to a wide door opening?
3) who is doing the work?

The upper floor joists run parallel to this wall.
Opening for double french doors upto standard door height.
The upper half of this wall is single brick so safe to assume all of it is
single brick.
I did a wall opening by myself about ten years ago though this was about 4'
wide.
I didn't know about the 3" joists back then and the floor hasn't suffered as
far as I
can tell. But at that time the other side of that wall was a concrete
kitchen floor.

This time though, I will probably hire men to do it.

Arthur