Posted to alt.home.repair
smcjensen smcjensen is offline

Default Wiring Basement

If the wiring is going to be left
exposed on the walls (opposite of the finished walls) you need to have
it use armored cable. Otherwise if all is closed up Romex should be
fine.

Tom

regarding armored cable, when I built an additionional stall in my
garage and wired it, no drywall, exposed studs, the inspector had me
run wooden blocking in front of the wiring. I'm not sure that even
armored cable would meet code if left exposed because stuff can still
bang into it or hang up on it and pull connections loose. Totally
agree on buying a simple book to get the basics. Rather than work in
the breaker box, I did all the wiring except the connection to the
breaker box and hired an electrician for that. $80 well spent to stay
out of there.