Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gizmo. Gizmo. is offline

Default odd mains plug

"Sparks" wrote in message
"Huge" wrote in message
On 2006-11-22, Peter Parry wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:01:43 GMT, wrote:

My son has bought an item of computer equipment and it has an unfused
mains lead fitted with an IEC connector at one end and a 13a plug at the
other. The 13a plug is smaller than normal, and as stated above has no
fuse.

If I was at work I'd condemn it on visual inspection for a pat test. Is
it
legal to sell such a lead?

Yes, but only so long as it is _not_ "ordinarily intended for
domestic use" (The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994).
They are quite common in computer rooms where sockets are installed
under floors (Yes - I know it's a silly idea to put sockets under
floors - but there are lots).

Dunno about "quite common", though. I've been working in computer
rooms for 32 years now and I've never seen one before.

ditto - well, expect for the 32 years, only 11 years here!

I have seen these unfused plugs and sockets
http://www.upssolutions.com.au/images/AP7586.jpg
But they are rated at 32A not 10A!

Those are called Commando sockets.
All of our AC fed equipment in our Data, Switch & Transmission rooms are fed
by them.