Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bleeding a hot water heating system

wrote in message

Where is the feed? I see a few turn valves and a few levers but I'm
not sure which one turns puts water into the system.

The pressure is almost 0!!

Water temp says 140 at the moment.

Thanks for the tip about cooling the system first. I was wondering
about that. Cold water in a hot boiler seems like it could spell
disaster.

Should I call the expert here or is this really a do it your self
project for a moderately handi person? Actually moderately may be
overestimating my abilities.

Thanks,
Steve

Is the boiler also used for domestic hot water? If so, there are two feed
valves, one for domestic water, the other for the heating water. Follow
the cold water line to the boiler. It is probably running across the
ceiling and then drops down to the boiler. At some point, it will split
off. One valve will be on the line feeding the domestic water. It will be
full open. The other line will go through a setup (often made by Watts)
that has first, a fill valve that has a lever on the top, then a pressure
relief valve that have a pull handle on the top and may have a pipe on the
bottom to direct any blowoff. The feed valve is in that line ahead of this
assembly. In my case, the fill and pressure valve are on the back, but the
fill valve is on the front. Find it, and see if it is open. If it is
closed, when you do open it you will probably hear water running.

Once you are sure it is open, then you can go back and bleed the air. . It
may take a couple of tries to get all the air out. Do the bleeding cold,
but then turn the heat on and while the circulator is running, if you hear
air, bleed it again. If needed, again and again. Air sometimes get into
pockets. I have a baseboard system and it took four times to get the first
floor bled properly and the water to circulate properly. If there is not
enough water, the pump can cavitate and not push the water through.

You probably also have a drain valve on the return pipe of the heating
system. You may want to drain some water there while the pump is running.
That is where I finally got all the air out. Just open it a crack and it may
sputter as the water passes and air comes out.

Keep in mind, as long as you have some water in the system, you won't do any
damage so try it a few times before spending $100+ for a service call.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/