Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Reframe trussed space as conventional without tearing down structure?

smcjensen wrote:
I have space over a garage I'd like to convert to a 4th bedroom for an
upcoming child. The space is trussed and I was thinking of sistering
conventional framing beside all the trusses then cutting the obstrucing
portions of the trusses out. I don't want to tear down the entire
garage and throw away a perfectly good roof and siding and I don't want
to disrupt the neighborhood with a month's worth of torn up house. The
roof line is a simple A frame. I've built another addition on my house
after which the building inspector said I did a very good job so I'm
not a complete novice. The real question: is this idea crazy stupid
or has it been done before?

(Scratching head) It sounds weird at first but I can see it working
with some problems.

Fastening the joists and rafters to the sill plates would be a problem
due to nailing room. I wouldn't trust just sistering to the bottom/top
chords of the trusses but it might work.

Your framing lumber would have to be much larger than the truss sizes.

Harry K