Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Mower tries yanking rope back in GAS LAWN MOWER TAKES 100 PULLS TO TURN OVER

"John Lawrence" wrote in message
Sounds like a sheared flywheel key.
"David Combs" wrote in message
In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
In the automotive world to "turn over" is to rotate the crankshaft.
So, if it doesn't turn over in 100 pulls, you have a problem with the
recoil mechanism. Different brands have different styles of mechanism.

^^^^^^
How about take it to a mower repair shop?

"Recoil":

Mine starts ok (well, once I had to prime with that
ether-or-whatever-its-called
spray-can stuff), but sometimes I'm halfway through a "rope pull" and
the machine suddenly tries to yank the rope back into the machine.

It yanks back HARD!

Is this the kind of "recoil" you mentioned?

Any idea what might be causing this PITA action?

Thanks

David

Some Briggs and Stratton engines have a slight ramp on the camshaft to hold
one of the valves slightly open and partially relieve the compression during
starting. Some have automatic flyweights on the camshaft for this purpose.
If the release malfunctions or the valve clearance is to great it will cause
this problem. I have a 8Hp that was nearly impossible to start because
someone decided to increase the valve clearance. These engines often show
little compression when pulling the starter cord if everything is right.

Don Young