Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default What kind of valve in my well water line?

"Toller" wrote in message
news
So, I want a curb stop or a stop and waste?

Curb stop *with* waste.

It's not the kind of thing you'll find at BigBox
or even a smallish supply house.

I think I am good now... If I can just find one on 5 months.
Is it reasonable to assume the pipe diameter is the same as where the line
eventually comes out of the ground?

I believe you indicated that your valve turned continously. I do not think
yours then has a "waste" function. These have to be in the correct
orientation when "off" to drain the downstream side. If turned off 180
degrees around the drain would not function. A "stop only" type valve often
turns continously.

You could install either type unless you want the downstream lines to drain
when turned off. If you install a "stop and waste" and do not want the drain
function, you just leave the little cap on. If you do want the drain
function, you have to put rock and gravel around the valve so there is a
space for the water to drain to.

Be aware that the "stop and waste valve" has to be installed in the right
direction for the drain to function properly. If you reverse it, the drain
will connect to the water intake when turned off instead of to the outlet.

Don Young