Posted to alt.home.repair
barbarow barbarow is offline

Default Outlet wiring, does color matter?

See http://www.doityourself.com/scat/basicelectric

--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven's Current Weather
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...er+Haven+33881
wrote in message
In article RPC8h.4282$oP6.2508@trnddc03, dadiOH
When wiring up normal 3-prong outlets, does it matter if I switch
the black and white wires on a single outlet in the run?

I've heard the polarity doesn't matter...but want to make sure I'm
not going to short it out or something else horrible.

Also, when wiring up lights, does it matter which color wire I run
to the switch? Most of the how-to articles show cutting the white
wire...does it make any difference?

Please, hire an electrician.

--

OP doesn't necessarily have to hire an electrician, but does need
more knowledge before attempting to DIY this job

Electricians aren't born with their knowledge. They have to learn it.
There's no reason a person of ordinary intelligence cannot learn, in a
reasonable length of time, how to safely perform simple, basic tasks
like wiring an outlet, switch, or light fixture.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -