Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mark.wolven@gmail.com is offline

Default Cutting thru Shingles and plywood Roof

Bob wrote:
wrote in message
My neighbor snitched on me and my shed is too tall given it's location
according to County zoning. My bad.

So, I have to make it shorter by about 18 inches. My plan is to take
off the roof and rebuild a newer less tall roof. Safety wise, I plan to
install some of the new cross supports while I remove the roof to make
sure that the shed maintains its structural integrity during its
retrofit.

Two questions for you:
1. Was the garage inspected while it was being built?
If so, it passed inspection and the city should not be able to come
back at a later date and insist that their inspection was flawed. See a
lawyer.

2. Have you considered going to the zoning or planning board and
requesting a waiver?
It would seem that since the building has been this way for some
time, and has caused no problems except for a crabby neighbor, that they
would waiver the rule. See a lawyer.

I checked the County website and saw the info about permits related to
the square footage, 150 SF or greater requires a permit, mine is 120,
so no permit needed and I wasn't running power to it, so, no permit, no
inspection needed. I missed the info on the height restriction in
relation to the side yard setback.

Yes, I could go for a variance or special use permit. Which required
like a $350 application fee, and a new survey ($200), plus 8 laminated
plats to send to my neighbors ($15 each from the surveyor). So, it's a
bunch of legwork and more than $600 and they could still reject the
permit because the old lady next door has nothing to do and I'd
guarantee that she'd be at the hearing to object.

So, at this point, I'll make the shed less tall. And at 8.5 ft or less
I can place it anywhere on my property, this is no sideyward setback at
that height, I'll be moving it closer to the property line with a
borrowed/rented fork lift.