Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Replacing a smoke alarm

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:14:06 -0600, "HeyBub"

I'd like to see a reference for this claim. I've seen lots of news
stories where people died in fires where they either did not have any
smoke detectors, or else had ones with dead or removed batteries.
I've never read a story about anyone dying in a fire due to the power
to the smoke detector being taken out by the fire. Here in NJ all
the new construction homes I see have AC powered units, as does my
home. It's a theoreticaly possibility that the power to the smoke
detector could be lost in a fire before the alarm goes off, but IMO,
that risk is very small compared to having a dead battery.

I got some moderate-priced smoke detectors recently. They have a bracket
that mounts on the wall and the smoke detector itself twist-locks into the
bracket. But here's the interesting part:

You can't put the smoke detector back in the bracket unless a battery is
installed! That's right, a little arm pops up when the battery is missing
that prevents the detector from fitting back in the bracket.

Good idea.

The 2 I bought last month were like that. They also contain both types
of detectors.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin