Posted to rec.woodworking
Howard Howard is offline

Default Basement Shop, Narrow Stairs--Table Saw?

I have the reverse problem. My shop is in a loft 15 steps above the
garage with a tight turn at the bottom. I purchased a Jet Supersaw.
As delivered the wings are not attached. We strapped the saw (table,
cabinet and motor) to an appliance handtruck and humped it up the
steps. It weighs about 230 lbs. Then just assembled the remainder of
the saw. With a good handtruck just take one step at a time. Of
course check the saw's width without wings against your stair width.
Only took my BIL and I to get it up one step at a time and both of us
are less than 5' 6".

On Nov 22, 6:31 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:53:23 -0500, Chris Wolf
wrote:
I would like to get a real table saw, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend
a good model that would be easier than most to get down stairs.

Most any contractor's saw (real CS, not just a "site" saw) should fit
quite easily with the legs, wings, and motor removed.

Depending on the turns, a 10" cabinet saw should also fit, if broken
down into body (with or without motor), wings, and top sub-assemblies.Careful with that -- I remember a post from a few years back in which someone

described removing the top from (IIRC) a JET JTAS-10 to make it easier to get
down the stairs -- and as soon as he did so, a handful of shims which had been
installed at the factory came out.

--
Regards,