Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default Sharpen drill bit on a drill press

Len wrote:

Don't do much machine work these days, but I don't buy a lot of
replacement drill bits either! ;^))

Len

Ditto.

I didn't get to the lathe bit part until I took an intro (Machine Trades
101) class at the local Community College. On the other hand, my nearest
"hardware store" is a Production Tool ;-)

I've taught that drill sharpening technique to a lot of guys since - but
always in person. I hope that the written instruction was sufficient for
the OP (and others) to follow. It's just ridiculous to throw away a 3"
long drill bit just because the first .005" of it is dull.

I would like to add three safety tips that apply anytime a grinder is to
be used:

1) NEVER stand in line with a grinding wheel when turning it on. If it's
ever going to shatter, this is the most likely time for it.
2) NEVER mount a wheel that doesn't ring like a bell when suspended from
a nail and given a tap on the side with a small piece of metal. It
should be presumed to be cracked and just waiting for you to turn the
grinder on with it mounted. FINISH BREAKING IT to keep anyone else from
trying to mount it.
3) Eye doctors can use tiny, but powerful, magnets to tease small chunks
of metal out of your eye ... but grinding wheels aren't metal, are they?
Wear GOOD eye protection when using a bench grinder or sanding belt.
Wear goggles. Better yet, wear goggles under a face shield. Do NOT rely
on temporary side shields. DO NOT rely on your prescription lenses.
Blind is forever.

There are other safety rules for grinders (provide for lung protection,
no grinding on the side of the wheel, keep the grinding platform within
the thickness of a dime to the wheel, and so on) but these will do for a
start.

Bill