Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Ballast Weirdness

I would check the bulbs first. The bad one you return may have been
previously used. People use stuff for years, buy a replacement at HD,
install the new one and put the old one back in the box and return it to HD
for a refund. There no one opens the box until the next customer gets it.
I almost bought a used faucet. Fortunately, my wife noticed water dripping
out of the box while we were on line at hd.

"Jim Jensen" wrote in message
t...
About three months ago I replaced the ballast on a ceiling fixture that has
two circuline fluorescents - 32W and 40W. It's been fine up until now.
Lately, the fixture has been acting strangely in that, occasionally, it
takes a minute or so after I flip the switch before it comes on. Usually,
it happens the first time it is switched on for the day, although
occasionally it happens when I toggle it off and on.

Would this indicate a bad ballast? It is an Advance ballast from Home
Depot, the second one. The first one was defective out of the box, and
looked like it was installed by someone else and returned (bent wires). Is
it a potential hazard?