Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default Need Advice

wrote:
I'd like to know what I'm in for before the gas cleaning/repair service
man arrives. I'm sure it needs cleaning as our gas supplier stated
such; however, it's an extremely old furnace and hasn't been serviced
in over 12yrs. It certainly needs servicing. Can anyone guess what
might be causing the following: The gas feeds, but the burner doesn't
light right away. Does this mean anything from a cleaning to a new
burner? Thanks

If it's really a furnace (heater of air) it's probably got a
horrendously
clogged air-filter by now, or is a huge fur-ball of household dust. Or
both.

Probably has trouble with pilot, mostlikely a bit dirty.

Cleaning of firesides should raise efficiency.