Posted to alt.home.repair
John Lawrence John Lawrence is offline

Default Plastic Gas Tank Spigot Cut With Razor Knife

Yes there is a glue (sealant) that is made for such fixes. It will stick to
plastic or what ever and will not dissolve with gas. I have used in plenty
of times on leaky gas tanks. Metal and plastic. This spring I sealed a
Briggs and Stratton mower, plastic gas tank that was leaking badly at a
join. I used this mower all summer with no leaks. The stuff is called "Seal
All" and can be bought at hardware stores or automotive parts stores.
Several thin coats are better than one thick one. Allow to dry between
coats.
wrote in message
ps.com...
We were trying to remove a stuck on gas line from a plastic lawnmower
gas tank & used a very sharp razor knife to cut through the gas line.
The gas line came off - but you guessed it - we put a nice clean slit
in half of the plastic nipple coming off the bottom of the tank. The
slit runs up to maybe 1/16" to the bottom of the tank.

Other than replacing the tank - Anyone know of a way to patch the slit
up?

Some possibilities we thought of a
* using a soldering iron to try melting the plastic together - we
thought that would just end up with a melted blob of plastic if we did
this

* using a hot melt glue gun to stick the plastic together- that is
still a maybe but we doubt it would hold as the gasoline could dissolve
the hot melt glue

* using some sort of teflon tape to wrap around the plastic spigot &
then pushing the replacement gas line up flush with the bottom of the
tank & clamping it on.

* or maybe there is a special glue for this purpose?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Cindy