Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Why both grout and mortar?

On 22 Nov 2006 07:06:34 -0800, "GreatArtist"
wrote:

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Why do you want to avoid grout. Do you think you will save some money?
It will not be much.

Well I had to remove 4 tiles a few inches above the kitchen sink to get
at the pipes behind the faucet. Then I used thinset mortar to put them
back. So it's only 4 tiles and I think they pretty much stay dry all
the time. The reason I don't want to use grout is because it has those
glass particles that can injure your lungs and eyes. The thinset mortar
also has the same glass particles and it was an ordeal going through
the safety precautions to avoid hurting myself.

My trash man would not take a partial bag of cement one day. He
explained that the lime caused an eye injury to an employee and it is
now company policy (re-bagged and sent out).

I replaced a couple of tiles in my pool this year at the water line. I
found a small pale of grout/mortar combination (orange store). It is
made for curing under water. I did go ahead and drain water below the
tile as I was not that trusting. This stuff worked well... adhered
well and looks like the same as the rest of the tile grout lines.

You won't find it in color choices, though.

--
Oren